From the very beginning of this game I have always wanted to have some sort of Jackpot, but two things always stopped me from doing it.
One: having a jackpot is extra work for me, potentially a LOT of extra work. Whether it's a bad beat jackpot, a high hand jackpot, or whatever - it inevitably involves writing things down, remembering things, a lot of rules, etc.
Two: I would never want it to be mandatory for players who didn't want to play. This is very tough to do in traditional formats such as a BBJ or HH. Also, especially now since I am taking a little bit out of each prize pool, I absolutely don't want to take any more.
So my two requirements were / are -
1: No appreciable extra work for me, this means first and foremost that for it to work I would not be required to write anything down, period.
2: It has to be entirely optional and separate from the tournament prize pool.
So for years and years, no jackpot appealed to me, until just now. I stumbled across this online and I think it will work wonderfully. Here's how it will go.
Starting in 2018, PSP will launch the River Jackpot!
For every monthly tournament at check-in we will be selling playing cards out of a deck of 52 for $1 each. Each player may buy up to two cards total. I will stamp each card with the PSP logo and the date. I will accept EXACT CHANGE ONLY. Hold on to the cards you purchase!
IF the river card on the last hand of the tournament matches your purchased card, you win the jackpot!
If there is no match, the jackpot pool rolls over to the next tournament. If there is no final hand, in other words there is a chop/deal that makes playing unnecessary - the jackpot rolls over as well.
If the jackpot rolls over to the next tournament, players must purchase new cards for that tournament to be eligible.
You do not have to be present to win the jackpot. You do however have to read the blog to see the winning card and then text or e-mail me and let me know that you won, preferably with a photo of your card. You can then pick up your winnings at any time.
But if you lose your card before you provide proof via text or e-mail of your win before the cards are in the air on the next tournament, the jackpot rolls over.
This takes the onus off of me and puts it on you all, to read the blog and to be pro-active in claiming the cash. I love it!
I will also participate, but I will announce and show my purchased cards before each tournament starts so you will know there are no shenanigans.
Like I said, I've always wanted to have a Jackpot at Pepper Street. This fulfills that beautifully, with minimal effort on my part (no writing anything down except for snapping a shot of the final board, which I always do anyways) and no mandatory fee or rake of any kind. Sweet!
Best of all, it gives players a good chance to win most of their buy in back for only a buck! Even better than that, when the Jackpot rolls over, they could potentially win much more. I could easily see this jackpot growing into the high hundreds before it hits.
As with any new thing, we will give this a go for a year or so - and if it is popular, which I think it will be (how can you go wrong for a couple of bucks?) then it will become a new tradition. Here's hoping our inner degenerates prevail over our inner cheapskates!
No comments:
Post a Comment